Tuesday, February 10, 2009

An incident recollected..- A father's gift

There was this uncle me and my mom met last year when I was in India and we were traveling to Bhopal . Uncle was going to Delhi.

And my mom has this habit of sleeping for hours at a stretch in the train. She gets up only for meals. And I just put a blanket around her and began to read a magazine.

Uncle notices this and says "Only a daughter does this."
But I didn't quite agree as I knew that if dad was traveling with us, he would have done the same. In fact then, I would have been asleep too. :)
And he says " No- I am only comparing a daughter and a son. Not talking about how a father or a husband would have acted"
Another passenger who was listening to our conversation chips in and says " Yes ! I have a daughter and son, and I can say you are right"

"Well, there are exceptions" - I say thinking about one or two guys I knew whom I could imagine acting precisely like the way I did.

1st uncle:" I am not talking about exceptions "
(I just wanted to agree with him and end the conversation and get back to my magazine )
I smile and turn back to read.

"Do you have a brother ? "
Me: "No, a sister"

Uncle smiles "I have 2 daughters too, and I have taught them and my wife self defense. They can operate a gun. I have two licensed pistols "
(And, by now I have put my magazine aside )
I look at him wondering how much of this conversation do i discount.

He says " I am a retired army man you see.." (well- he actually didn't say armyman. He mentioned his rank, which I dont quite recall. My apologies for not remembering )

"...and i was posted at all different locations. They stayed back for studies. I just wanted them to be able to take care of themselves"

"Oh !" I smile impressed

And I think what a stark contrast. There are two army men I encountered en route on a train at different points in time and such a drastic difference. Will talk about the other army guy some other time though. (Afterall, this is this uncle's story)

I was so totally impressed with uncles way of thinking and in awe :)

My only self defense (back when i was in college) when I saw some guys following & eve-teasing on the roads, was to go via the police station route. Everyone just vanished before the last turn :)
But today I guess a formal self defense training, or a pepper spray is what we need to ward off people who pose threat to our freedom.

We need people to empower their daughters to take on this world. We need many more such uncles.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a cute story and with exceptions I too have to agree that only a daughter well brought up could do that :)

Pepper spray is a must. I have learnt Taekwondo as a kid...ages ago.

Indyeah said...

That was a nice story told engagingly by you...:)
See the knack for words that you have?:)
yes,with some exceptions as Solilo says ,only daughters can do that...know instinctively whats needed without a word being said...:)

N said...

Thanks Solilo.
Yup agree that pepper spray is a must. I hope that all women who participate in the "pub Bharo andolan" have a bottle of pepper spray :) would love to see a footage of sena activists running away :)
In fact it would be even better if they are so largely outnumbered that they are Shit scared of doing anything. :)

N said...

Thanks Indyeah
Knack of words..I dont know about that. But this compliment coming from who i consider "The princess of words" ( you and Usha both have that title :) )it really means a lot :)

Indian Home Maker said...

"(And, by now I have put my magazine aside )"

I can so imagine this happening!!

I also feel daughters and sons are all equally loving, it's just that we stress upon daughters to be caring and upon boys to be brave.
You met someone who realised the importance of courage and confidence that comes from being able to take care of themselves :)

Your idea of walking past a police station was smart ... isn't it amazing how much women achieve despite having to handle such ridiculous situations all the time? Hats off!!

N said...

IHM: The way you put it across is so nice. I didn't look at it that way as in I didn't realize that these two caring v/s brave were such contrasting qualities:)that he saw together. You have an interesting perspective on things:) Yeah he was a person who knew that daughters are caring. Yet, he also knew that they were not restricted by that quality, but also brave enough to take care of themselves.