Wednesday, February 4, 2009

yesterday v/s today

This post by Alankrita is so true..

Yesterday : It irritated me when these people came from US for a vacation and cribbed about everything...I just couldn't stand them. would glare at them and ask why did you come here for a vacation?
Today: Sadly, I wonder if I would be one among them

Yesterday: One of the first things i wanted to check with my then prospective husband was "hopefully you are not planning to settle in US" And his response was no, Of course not - But I plan on working there for a while...
Today: My question: How long is a while?

Yesterday: One year of struggle with myself for the choices ' I ' made.. Well, It was my choice to leave it all back there and come here, rather than stay apart for a while. So I had no one else to blame.
Today: The frustrations have kinda died thankfully, and I am more open to embrace a life different from the one I had planned but nevertheless good.

Yesterday: I saw kids here ( in early teens) and thought that they have lost their childhood too soon. and I always wanted to raise kids in India
Today: I see all these politicians and think we have lost our freedom too soon.

Shiv sena/ MNS curbing our freedom to live in any part of India, telling us that UPites are different from Maharashtrians, telling us how to brand our business in a way that pleases them..
I see Ram sena telling us what to wear, not only that - forcing us in a way so pervert, it fills me with disgust.
I read about a man beating his wife in public for wearing jeans - for something that he does everyday!!!

I dont say women are not beaten here, sure they are- but atleast the cops dont hush it up as a family matter..

I see all this and think- Am i prepared to have my wings clipped? Am I prepared to be treated like dirt by some a** h***s defining for me what 'my' culture is...

4 comments:

Indyeah said...

This post is so from the heart..
I have not experienced life there so can't really speak for that..But yeah I suppose,if you put it as independence and identity versus suppression and incidents of the kind we are seeing today..in India,then yeah USA would sem better I suppose...:(

*sigh*
Dont blame you...it is like this these days...in India..

Anonymous said...

This is true and many times people don't actually say it loud and be PC.

US too has its share of crime and battery but at least there is law. In India law forces victims to apologize :(

Indian Home Maker said...

This post expresses so well something all of us are going through all over India, all of us are affected in little ways. Girls next year will have one less option for studying, I am sure parents will think many times before sending their children to study in Karanataka.

What's really, really sad is that there are people actually defending this violence. Just like there were people defending violence against all minorities.

We just can't seem to seeing ... Now I see how narrow mindedness can make you so blind. We have bad times ahead here.


Read this.

N said...

Yes Indyeah, it is the Sad state of today

@Solilo: very true, atleast law gives us some assurance of justice.

@IHM: Totally agree, it is sad that people defend such violence. In fact read your post on the NCW person, Nirmala venkatesh defending the culprits and was shocked at such a response from a woman!